Monday, December 10, 2012
Change the Stakes, a coalition of parents and educators in New York City, announces an exciting panel of educators will discuss the impact of current high stakes testing on curriculum, instruction, and learning in NYC schools. The panel discussion will be moderated by distinguished journalist Juan Gonzalez, award-winning columnist of the New York Daily News and co-host of the national news program Democracy Now!
The panel will include Shael Polakow-Suransky (Chief Academic Officer and Senior Deputy Chancellor of the New York City Department of Education), Dr. Pedro Noguera (Professor of Education at New York University), and teacher and activist Brian Jones. An additional panelist will be announced at the event, which will be translated into Spanish.
In addition to Change the Stakes, the list of sponsors includes:
- The Malcolm X and Dr. Betty Shabazz Memorial and Educational Center (Shabazz Center)
- The Harlem/Washington Heights Education Film Screening & Community Discussion Series (sponsored by Total Equity Now, the Community League of the Heights, and the A.M.E. Zion Church on the Hill)
- The Offices of Council Members Robert Jackson and Ydanis Rodriguez and Community Education Council 6
- December 10, 2012 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- The Shabazz Center, 3940 Broadway at W. 165th Street